The latest news from the Penn State Extension Field and Forage Crops Team
In This Issue
1. Feedback Wanted for Field Crop News
The Crop Management Team at Penn State Extension values your feedback and asks that you take a few minutes to complete the survey at the link below.
2. Weather Outlook for April 23, 2013
There are no signs of prolonged warmth and it is possible that portions of the state, particularly in the northwest may have a long period without significant rainfall.
3. Corn Planting: Timing, Soil Temperature and Stands
Daily Minimum Soil Temperatures are still in the 30’s across most of PA. Producers Beware!
4. A Windy Spring for Spraying: Suggestions for Reducing Drift
Helpful management tips to keep your herbicide applications on-target and you out of hot water.
5. Weed of the Week – Common Groundsel (Senecio vulgaris)
A winter annual weed that can be found year-round, toxic to livestock and tough to control with certain herbicides.
6. Grain Marketing Update
Planted corn acres are behind last year’s pace but not behind the 5 year average.
7. Capture the Flag (Leaf)
Since wheat leaves appear by emerging from within the stem, how do you know when the top leaf that you see on a wheat plant is, in fact the flag leaf?
8. Aphids and Barley Yellow Dwarf Virus
Scouting is the key to finding aphid populations that exceed the economic threshold.
9. Looking for Fields Infested with Barley Yellow Dwarf Virus
Penn State is trying to help predict when and where BYDV will occur.
10. One Remaining Cover Crop Field Walk
If you are in the Northern Tier of PA make plans now to come out to the last of Penn State Extension’s cover crop field walks.
11. Winter Wheat Walk “Biodiversity for Reduced Pest Pressure” May 15
A wheat field day will take place May 15, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Norman and Edwin Burkholder Farm 187 Smoketown Road Mertztown, PA 19539
12. Penn State/Steve Groff (Cover Crop Solutions) Plot Tour May 22
Penn State Extension and Cover Crop Solutions, LLC invite you to join us in the field on May 22nd from10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon at the Groff Farm 535 Drytown Rd. Holtwood, PA 17532 to see what’s new for 2013.
13. Small Grains Field Day June 5
This year’s Small Grains Field Day will be held Wednesday, June 5th from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Southeast Ag Research & Extension Center (Landisville Research Farm) in Manheim, Lancaster County.
14. Penn State Agronomic Field Diagnostic Clinic July 16 and July 17
The event will be held on July 16 & July 17 at the PSU Agronomy Research Farm in Rock Springs.
15. Newsletter Contributors